报告题目：Probability and Other Areas of Mathematics
报 告 人：Prof. Jordan Stoyanov （Newcastle University (UK) and Bulgarian Academy of Sciences）
This lecture is addressed to a wider audience: graduate and PhD students in mathematical sciences, as well as to professionals.
It will be shown that diverse and intriguing mathematical problems from many areas of mathematics such as functions theory, combinatorics, number theory, PDEs, etc., can be solved elegantly by using ideas and techniques from Probability. Sometime these are the only available solutions. Some of the following topics will be discussed in dretail:
• Combinatorial and algebraic identities.
• Game of dice. There are infinitely many Casino numbers.
• LLN and Weierstrass theorem by Bernstein polynomials.
• Old Uspensky’s problem and its far extensions.
• Many ways to interpret and solve the equation X + Y = XY.
• Values of the Riemann zeta functions via Cauchy distribution.
• Feynman-Kac formulas: probabilistic solutions to PDEs.
Questions and suggestions from the audience during the lecture are very welcome. If time permits, a few open questions will be outlined.